With Manchester United’s failure to earn Champions League football and the legend’s restricted playing time at the age of 37, Cristiano Ronaldo finally appears to have obtained his wish to leave the club.
After the forward’s interview with Piers Morgan, which left the club with no other option, United released a 67-word statement on Tuesday evening declaring they had mutually decided to end his contract.
Ronaldo’s key quotes – a snapshot of his full interview
- ‘I feel betrayed by Man Utd | I have no respect for Erik ten Hag’
- ‘Man Utd doubted me over my sick daughter when I missed pre-season’
- ‘Glazer family don’t care about Man Utd | United have stopped on a clock’
- ‘Man City move was close but Sir Alex Ferguson changed everything’
- ‘Youngsters don’t care but Diogo Dalot and Lisandro Martinez are different’
- ‘Roy Keane is the best captain I ever had but Gary Neville and Wayne Rooney are not my friends’
- ‘I never saw Ralf Rangnick as the boss | Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did a good job’
- ‘I regret leaving Old Trafford vs Tottenham – I felt provoked’
- ‘I turned down €350m Saudi move | I don’t know if I’ll still be at Man Utd after World Cup’
- ‘I would be happy if Arsenal win the Premier League’
- ‘Lionel Messi is magic | I want to play until I’m 40’
The captain of Portugal, who is now playing for his nation in the World Cup, also claimed that United hierarchy members were trying to get him out of Old Trafford and that they didn’t believe him when he said he couldn’t go to preseason practice because his daughter was in the hospital.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner will no longer be a part of United after they initially claimed they would examine their response to Ronaldo’s remarks “when the entire facts have been confirmed.”